||NFIB is America’s leading small business advocate, with hundreds of thousands of members nationwide and offices in every state capital. We are searching for a communications professional with extensive experience in media relations to strengthen our national
media program and elevate the NFIB brand and reach. The right candidate will have: strong relationships among reporters, producers, editors, and hosts; a strong understanding of the news business (deadlines, story selection, competitive pressures, etc.), and
the changing media landscape; excellent communication skills; and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
The SR Media Manager will work closely with the Director of Media and Communications to lead the media team in developing and executing strategies and campaigns resulting in positive earned media coverage. He/she will work closely with other members of the
Public Affairs Department, as well as the Government Relations team, the Legal Center, the Research Center, and the state offices. Incumbent must be able to write clearly and effectively: press releases, news advisories; editorials; talking points; public
remarks; and other materials for distribution. Incumbent must be able to communicate NFIB’s positions and explain complicated policies. Incumbent must be able to make quick decisions and produce results in a fast-paced environment. Incumbent must be able to
staff, brief, and coach top officers, including the CEO, for interviews. Attention to detail and follow-through is a must. Performs other projects as needed.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, business, public policy, or related field; or equivalent work experience.
2. Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in communications, public relations or journalism including familiarity with the principles of business, the courts and politics; experience in public policy and professional/media writing. Media relations experience
3. Must be able to communicate complicated positions and concepts, such as tax reform, healthcare reform, labor issues, energy policy, and other public policy issues that affect small business.
4. Must possess a broad range of knowledge in politics, policy/legislation, business/economics, educational and legal issues with the ability to simultaneously manage information from different disciplines. Preference for candidates with direct experience/relationships
with reporters, producers, editors, and hosts.
5. Outstanding verbal and written communications skills; ability to write on deadline and handle multiple assignments simultaneously are essential.
6. Strong preference for candidates who can initiate projects, write for deadlines, work under pressure, and build/maintain strong working relationships with reporters.
7. Proficient in Microsoft Office and Twitter; audio and video skills are a plus.