||Human Resources Generalist
The human resources generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with senior HR management in supporting the Talent, Organization and Performance function. This position carries out responsibilities in
the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, new hire orientation, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, EEO and employment law compliance.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the company, particularly relating to educating managers, supervisors and associates about company policy and practices.
• Engages with associates in a way that demonstrates a customer service orientation. Consistently demonstrates a willingness to listen, a commitment to follow up with coworkers, company retirees and others as necessary, and an appreciation for how each associate
interaction shapes perceptions of the HR function
• Develops human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information; recommending courses of action.
• Improves manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions; implementing selected solution; coaching and counseling managers and employees.
• Assists HR Manager in managing employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing.
• Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
• Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
• Administers the compensation program; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary. Participates in Compensation market surveys
• Understanding of and participation in 5S, Kaizen and Lean principles, environments and related workplace and productivity improvement concepts
• Performs benefits administration including—
o Administer benefit plans to new associates, enroll, process applications, manage inquiries, track activities, check with other parties, maintain records, follow-up.
o Claims resolution, change reporting, processing invoices, communicating benefits information to employees. Manage disability cases from application to coordinating communication, approvals, pay statuses, required updates etc.
o Track data such as activities, results and expenditures in spreadsheets, such as leaves-of-absence, compensation treatment, benefits participation etc.
o Compose and prepare correspondence to associates, alerting them of leave-of-absence status and other benefits programs, and required regulatory disclosures.
o Coordinate official regulatory filings such as 5500’s, Medicare’s Retiree Drug Subsidy Program, Affordable Care Act 1094/1095, medical premium reporting on W-2, I-9’s etc.
o Coordinate contacts with associates and benefits vendors; answer associates’ questions about benefits programs such as medical, dental, PTO, life insurance, disability, 401K and pension. Maintain data in vendor databases ensuring timely and accurate coverage.
• Develops and maintains affirmative action program; files EEO-1 report annually; and maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
• Assist as needed in recruitment effort for exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; monitors career-pathing program; and writes and places advertisements.
• Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
• Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
• Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and
• Develop PowerPoint presentations for training presentations, new-hire orientation, open enrollment, etc.
• Maintain HR Data-of-record in our HRIS system, training database, UltiPro and in paper personnel files. Responsible for the integrity of the data Compile data and prepare periodic reports and other HR KPI’s.
• Maintain highly confidential associate personnel files and benefits files containing private health information.
• Participate in TQM activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• 3-5 years’ broad generalist HR experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred or combination of education and experience
• PHR, SPHR Preferred. Knowledge of state and federal employment law.
• CEBS or strong benefits administration background preferred
• Proficiency with MS office products.
• Experience with database administration, UltiPro preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation.
• Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of human resources work.
• Use of care and judgment to ensure fairness and equity.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Alsip, IL. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, photocopiers and smartphones. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
25%-50% travel between locations is expected for this position. Distance is less than 10 miles.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a functional coach and mentor for other positions in the company.